2018 All Day CLE
October 05, 2018
Marriott 200 W 12th Street, Kansas City MO
Oct 5 2018
8:00 am - 8:30 am Registration
8:30 - 9:30 am Calculating and Litigating Complicated Guideline Issues
Sentencing Resource Counsel Rosie Brown will guide us through some of the more harrowing guidelines. These are commonly used guidelines which result in commonly made MISTAKES. Learn how to protect your clients from probation officers who don’t know the guidelines as well as you do!
Speaker(s): Rosie Brown
9:45 am - 10:45 am Litigating Race Issues
Juval Scott will teach us how to deal with the elephant in the room. How do you explain your African American client’s fear and distrust of law enforcement? How do you litigate the fact that there are no African American jurors on your panel? Race is the issue that everyone sees, but few know how to talk about. Learn more here.
Speaker(s): Juval Scott
11:00 am - 12:00 pm View from the Bench
District and magistrate judges from Western Missouri will join us to give us their perspective on what we can do to better assist our clients, and to listen to our questions and comments. What sort of arguments work? Do the judges understand the detention and release rules? Does the Court have policies like the US Attorney’s Office does, and if so what are they? Get the inside scoop.
1:30 pm - 2:30 pm Mitigation 101
AFPD, AZ - Denise Barrett will lead us in a discussion about mitigation, how to get it, and how to use it. We will learn the records that lawyers should be getting, how to organize and review them, and then how to convey that information to the Court or the prosecutor. Denise will also talk about when you need to hire an expert to help, and when you can do it on your own.
Speaker(s): Denise Barrett
- 9. Motion for Mitigation Specialist.9.pdf
- 2016 Judicial Conference report on mitigation specialist.pdf
- ABA criminal justice standards for defense.pdf
- Annotated bibliography for federal noncap sentencing.pdf
- Defending a Federal Criminal Case Chap 16 - Mitigation.pdf
- Formulating a Correctional Treatment Plan.pdf
- GRACE NOTES A CASE FOR MAKING MITIGATION THE HEART OF NONCAPITAL SENTENCING.pdf
- Performance Guidelines for Criminal Defense Representation (Black Letter) _ National Legal Aid & Defender Association.pdf
- Records Checklist.pdf
2:45 pm - 3:45 pm Ethics
Judge Willie Epps will discuss some of the ethical issues that federal criminal defense practitioners face, and how to navigate them.
Speaker(s): Judge Willie Epps
- Ethical Issues Confronting Criminal Defense Attorneys.pdf
- (CATO Institute) Victory for Defendant Autonomy and the Criminal Jury Trial in McCoy.pdf
- (NY Times) To Try to Save Client's Life, a Lawyer Ignored His Wishes Can He Do That.pdf
- (NY Times)Facing the Death Penalty With a Disloyal Lawyer - The New York Times.pdf
- (The Washington Post)Lawyer may not concede client’s guilt if defendant objects, Supreme Court rules.pdf
- McCoy v Louisiana.pdf
- State v. McCoy 218_So.3d_535.pdf
4:00 pm - 5:00 pm Appellate Issues in WDMO and the 8th Circuit
Do you love appellate work, but wish you knew more of the inside track? Do you hate appellate work, but know you need to learn more about it? Do you just want to up your appellate game? At this session, the Western Missouri FPD Appellate Unit will discuss issues and answer questions about appellate and writing practice in Western Missouri and the Eighth Circuit.
Speaker(s): Becky Kurz, Dan Goldberg, Steve Moss